Re: Oracle Security Alert for CVE-2012-1675 - 10g extended support

From: Martijn Bos <maboc_at_maboc.nl>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 10:29:05 +0200

Hi,

> In your (and everyone else's experience), how long does a listener
> start/stop take? If it's in a shell script it might be very quick, and
> done over a quiet period shouldn't hurt too much.

In my experience stopping/starting a listener doesn't take more then a few seconds. However, it can take a while (have no figures available) before the "locallistener databases" will register them selfs with the listener.

The other day it took about 30 seconds for the last local listener to register, in out test environment.

The existing connections are not impacted, only new connections can't be made. So I gues that applications which user some kind of connection-pooling mechanism are not hurt, since they do not (generally) need to create new connections all the time. Applications whitout connection pools may suffer from "database loss" or "no database" for a while. I guess it's up to "the bussiness" to see whether that is acceptable.

Best Regards,
Martijn