RE: speeding up expdp

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 07:51:11 +0200

Maureen,

Is your database an enterprise edition or a standard edition?

If you have an enterprise edition, then expdp can work with multiple parallel slaves. One thing you then need to look for is if the 2 large tables are also exported in parallel or if only 1 process is exporting them. If the table for instance has a lob column, then oracle can't export it in parallel. Sometimes Oracle chooses for some reason wrongfully the direct path method for a table, which disables the parallel feature. In that case you can try to force expdp to use the external table method.

The notes below give you a good starting point on how to improve the performance of datapump and how to check what is happening:

Checklist for Slow Performance of Export Data Pump (expdp) and Import DataPump (impdp) [ID 453895.1] Export/Import DataPump Parameter TRACE - How to Diagnose Oracle Data Pump [ID 286496.1] Export/Import DataPump Parameter ACCESS_METHOD - How to Enforce a Method of Loading and Unloading Data ? [ID 552424.1]

Kind regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator