RE: Using RMAN to recover a copy of a database from backup files only

From: Steve Wales <sjwales_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 00:34:26 -0600

Missed it in the initial post (hit send too early) - it was 11gR2.

I found something in the documentation that showed me how it should be able to be done, but I'm getting errors about incarnations that RMAN isn't liking.

Raised an SR with support a few hours ago, hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow and just for the sharing of knowledge thing, I'll send the resolution out when I get it worked out.

Thanks all for your replies to date.

Steve

From: Niall Litchfield [mailto:niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 11:51 PM
To: sjwales_at_comcast.net
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Using RMAN to recover a copy of a database from backup files only

Steve, version of the database is quite important here as steps available to you vary by version. In addition it sounds like you would be well advised to engage support on this one. The short and good answer though is that so long as you have the required backups and arch logs you can achieve your goal.