Re: OMS and Repository Preferences

From: Kellyn Pot'vin <>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:36:59 -0700 (PDT)

Since without EM, we DBA's are often in the dark, I appreciate the proposal of RAC for the environment, but doesn't this kill the free licensing option that many companies take advantage of to keep costs down?  I would prefer to use my EM monitoring and alert script vs. having to go to my manager and explain to him that I need more budget for licensing costs!  Correct me if RAC is free for EM, but I see no documentation saying otherwise. Thanks!
Kellyn Pot'Vin
Senior Technical Consultant

 From: Tim Hall <> To:
Cc: "Oracle- L_at_ Free" <> Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:09 AM
Subject: Re: OMS and Repository Preferences

Take a look at this:

From your description it sounds like you are only planning a level 1 setup (1 repository instance and 1 OMS instance). If that is the case, I see very little benefit to having it on 2 machines, as opposed to 1. If either DB or OMS machine dies it's all gone anyway. Since the two servers in this setup provide no additional resilience, I would prefer a simpler solution of a single server myself.

Of course, if the plan is to move to a more resilient solution in the future, it may alter my opinion somewhat.