Re: Performance metrics

From: Karl Arao <karlarao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:09:11 -0500

BTW, aside from putting Adaptive Thresholds on our environment to alert for sudden workload change
We are also running a daily report of whats_changed.sql to keep track of SQL plan changes. This script measures standard deviation (STDDEV) on the elapsed time
http://kerryosborne.oracle-guy.com/2009/06/what-did-my-new-index-mess-up/

and this script can also be modifed to address sudden increase in LIO if the execution in question returns more data than a previous execution (we can also take into consideration the LIO/row stuff) or let's say in Exadata a sudden increase in Smart Scans...

So that's how you get proactive on the SQL side.. but of course the application owners should also keep track of their SQL/Batch run times so they can also alert you if their Batch processes are now slower than the previous runs.

--

Karl Arao
karlarao.wordpress.com

--