11.1.0.6 + Linux + physical standby

From: Mary Elizabeth McNeely <mary_mcneely_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 19:51:29 -0700 (PDT)

All,
I have a situation where there's an 11.1.0.6 EE database on Linux that's running a "homemade" physical standby database (manual shipping/application of archived redo logs to the standby database).  It's three-node RAC with ASM.  The previous DBA (who graciously still answers questions for us) says it was that way when he got there, and he doesn't know why. My guestimate is that the earlier DBAs decided not to use a DataGuard physical standby because their homemade solution lets them zip the logs prior to shipment, lessening the network load. It's time to rebuild the standby, and we're thinking of changing to a DataGuard standby - seems much easier to just let Oracle do its thing instead of reinventing the wheel. But it haunts us that we're missing something like a bug or some other gotcha. To that end, do any of you currently (or previously) run 11.1.0.6 EE on Linux with a physical standby database? Was it single node or RAC? With ASM or without? How did you build your standby - RMAN DUPLICATE or some other method? What gotchas did you encounter? I appreciate any feedback you can offer in this regard, and thanks in advance for your time. Kind regards,
Mary Elizabeth
(oracle-l lurker)