Re: Windows 2008 and run database service as a different user then the "Local System" account, database will not start via service

From: Patrick Roozen <patrick.roozen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 13:18:54 +0100

Hi Niall and others,

We have given the permissions as described below in your post, and UAC is set to "Never Notify" aka disabled I believe. It still wont mount the database via the service when that service is not running as Local System.
In %ORACLE_HOME%\database\oradim.log we can see the following message: ORA-12631 username retrieval failed

Searching the web shows that setting sqlnet.ora (sqlnet.autentication_services=(NONE) will resolve this error but that means
that we cannot logon without supplying the password. Which the backup scripts we use cannot as they use "sqlplus / as sysdba" for all the logons. So this is not an option for us.

I have confirmed that either setting the sqlnet.autentication_services=(NONE) will allow the service to start the database normally
(and mounting/open etc).

Also using a local account with the neccessary rights will start the database. But then we cannot access the share we need to backup the FRA to.

Searching the event log viewer does not result in any extra messages that might show what is wrong.

But I eventually found a post (while writing this mail) in thread (http://www.dba-village.com/village/dvp_forum.OpenThread?ThreadIdA=26052) that showed us an other possibility and that worked. The entry that shows the solution is:
"Ok here is the solution for the problem: I 've changed log on information for the oracle service from account_at_domain to domain\account and now everything is working fine. Thanks to all who tried to help."

The entry is by a micky davis from 2006.

If you use the "browse" feature in windows and then "check names", then your DOMAIN\user entry is changed to user_at_DOMAIN and you will have this problem.

So thank you all (and Micky Davis) for the help and I hope that this will help someone else who runs into this problem as well.

Regards,

Patrick Roozen