Re: Windows 2008 and run database service as a different user then the "Local System" account, database will not start via service

From: Niall Litchfield <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:01:06 +0000

I believe that the account needs
1) To be a *local *administrator (i.e a direct member of the local administrators group on the box, group membership doesn't cut it) 2) To have the following rights
  • Logon as a Service
  • Logon as a Batch Job
  • Replace a process level token
  • Act as part of the operating system

In addition UAC should be disabled for the server (much like SELinux should be disabled on a Linux box).

I'll have to recheck later unless someone can show otherwise, but my memory is that RMAN allows backups to a UNC share without having to jump through the hoops above. Are you locating the FRA directly on the share and is a controlfile located in the FRA?

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Patrick Roozen <>wrote:

> Hi All,
> We need to run the database as a different user then the "Local
> System" account because we need to make backups to an UNC share.
> Therefore we have created a domain user that is in the local
> administrator group on the windows machine. This user is allowed to
> use the UNC share as well.
> We run Oracle SE and Windows 2008 RC2 and followed this note
> on metalink/oracle support (Doc ID 457363.1).
> When starting the database service the database will not mount the
> database and stops there. No extra messages in the alert file that
> suggest any problem.
> When we logon to the windows machine with the same account and connect
> to the database we can start it manually (alter database mount/alter
> database open) without any problems.
> Has anyone run into this problem before and been able to fix this? We
> have a SR with oracle but have not gotten any respons yet.
> Regards,
> Patrick
> Oracle DBA
> P.S. Off course running the service as "local system" will start the
> database without any problems. And we also change the service of the
> listener to run as the same user as the database service.
> If you don't you cannot connect to the database via sqlnet.
> --

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA