RE: 11gR2 RAC Network Failure - Timeout

From: D'Hooge Freek <>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:28:32 +0100

I think that sets only the interconnect timeout, not the vip timeout. On linux the vip connectivity is checked by using ethtool (or mii-tool on older linux versions) to verify the status of the network port. If ethtool reports that the link is down a ping is done to the public gateway. If the ping test fails two times, the failover is initiated. Looking at the script, I think the timeout of the ping is set to 1 second (-w 1 -c 1).

The script responsible for the vip test is $ORACLE_HOME/bin/racgvip (where $ORACLE_HOME is the GI home, not the db home). On linux this is just a shell script, so you can modify it to change the number of retries. But I can't directly find where the sleep time between two vip checks is defined.

Freek D'Hooge
Oracle Database Administrator
tel +32(0)3 451 23 82