Re: Performance tuning approach for connection pooling apps !

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 13:05:58 -0300

That is way too broad a question to be answered. What do you mean by "performance problems"? If you are looking for a performance tuning guide for Oracle, there are several good books out there:
Oracle Database 11g Performance Tuning Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach by Sam Alapati et al. is a very good read but can be a bit too specific at times.
And personally I have Troubleshooting Oracle Performance by Christian Antognini in my wishlist for when I get my Kindle or Asus tablet.

There are also several websites dealing with Oracle Performance Tuning... you just have to filter the crappy sites with useless posts entitled "oracle performance" but really advertise some form of paid service... which may prove to be somewhat of a challenge.

Now, whenever I get a "call" (ticket, e-mail, etc) from a dev or business type saying "ZE DATABASE BE SLOW!" (yes, they are cats) I usually ask the basic "when did the problem start and what changed?". Then I start digging through AWR reports. We keep 3 months of snapshots so we can pretty much compare the database load to a previous point where things "worked fast". I usually look for Full Table Scans of the largest table (the advantage of having relatively few databases is that I know them very well) and changes in load (number of connections, time elapsed, etc).

If you wonder about forecasting (i.e. what would happen if we added another AS with a 400 connections pool) that's a whole other question, but luckily one that can be answered by Oracle documentation (look at sizing PROCESSES and SESSIONS parameters in MOS, Oracle Forums, Tahiti and OTN)

hth
Alan.-