Re: ARCHIVE LOG QUESTION

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:48:27 -0700

Denise,
In my previous reply, I wanted to clarify and separate your evident reporting requirement from the entirely separate issue of how you should manage your archived redo log files. I don't think that the two should be entwined in any way.

First, to make RMAN "aware" of archived redo logfiles, please check the documentation on the RMAN "catalog" command. It can be as easy as...

    RMAN> *catalog archivelog '**/file-name/**';*

...where /*file-name*/ is the full pathname of the archived redo log file. Once the archived redo logfiles are being managed by RMAN, then there are several ways to control their retention after they've been backed up. I strongly recommend that you read the RMAN documentation online (you can Google for it), in particular the RMAN commands CONFIGURE ... RETENTION, CROSSCHECK, and DELETE.

Here is one example I use to first verify the status of archived redo logfiles on disk, then to remove the missing (expired) catalog entries, and then to remove the "obsolete" files and entries according to the configured retention policy (from memory, no access to systems at present)...

    RMAN> *allocate channel for maintenance type disk;*
    RMAN> *crosscheck backup of backup;*
    RMAN> *crosscheck backup of controlfile;*
    RMAN> *crosscheck backup of archivelog;*
    RMAN> *delete expired;*
    RMAN> *delete obsolete;*
    RMAN> *release channel;*

Hope this helps...