Re: What is the best strategy to evaluate performance of a big system

From: Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:07:42 +0530

Hello Eriovaldo,
If I would have face this problem then probably I would have adopted Mark's suggestion and further for performance gain Robert's suggestion.

I think you should first define what performance is in various areas of your application and they you should decide..

thanks..subodh

On 24 September 2011 21:16, Eriovaldo Andrietta <ecandrietta_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Friends,
> I would like to know, what is the best strategy to identify and provide
> performance in a big system that is running in the production.
> Imagine a system written in java, C, perl, pl/sql, triggers ... and others
> ... several kinds of language ..
> Everything is connecting to Oracle 10g, doing small queries and complex
> queries too ...
> So ...
> I understand that there must have "pointed bad queries" that can be
> identified only running the applicaton ... It maybe take more time than the
> expected...
>
> What would be the other way to obtain the problematic queries?
>
> - Turn on trace, read the tracefile, identify problems and make changes
> based on trace ?
> - Analyse application logs, read the log, identify problems and make
> changes based on log ?
> - The tester identify problems by himself, testing all
> system functionality ? In this case, trace and log are resources to
> obtain
> the bad sql statment.
>
> What is the best option for environment ?
>
> - Apply the strategy on the production environment, without leaving this
> database to another environment, because this
> action will reorganize the database and provide a different data
> organization in comparison with the original environment and probably
> different performance.
> - Apply the strategy on new database (using same database parameters) in
> another environment and populate it with the data from the production
> environment and use trace or logs ?
>
> At first, the resource for it would be : a tester skill and a DBA skill
> professionals.
>
> Thanks and Regards !!
>
> Eriovaldo

DO NOT FORGET TO SMILE TODAY