RE: Monitoring Services

From: Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:12:18 -0500

I've got a startup trigger that executes the following (mostly lifted from the latest ncoug journal<http://www.nocoug.org/Journal/NoCOUG_Journal_201108.pdf>):

PROCEDURE prc_start_services IS

    service_already_started EXCEPTION;
    PRAGMA EXCEPTION_INIT(service_already_started,-44305);

  BEGIN
    FOR i IN (SELECT NAME FROM dba_services) LOOP

      BEGIN
        dbms_service.start_service(i.NAME);
      EXCEPTION WHEN service_already_started THEN
      --this means the service is already running so no need to crash
      NULL;
      END;

    END LOOP;
   END prc_start_services;

For monitoring, you could easily write something to query V$active_services or monitor the output of "lsnrctl services"?

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Uzzell, Stephan Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 9:51 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Monitoring Services

Services is really in some ways an unfortunate name for them - it makes searching quite difficult as it is a broad enough term with enough other uses that it is hard to find the answer I'm looking for.

I recently got a complaint that users were unable to connect to one of the databases. When I connected, I found that the service they connect to was not running. My guess is that we (the DBAs) failed to restart that service after the last maintenance window - and it seems that in 10g, services do not automatically start when you bring the instance up.

So - how do people monitor that the necessary services are up and running? Can Grid Control be set to alert if a service is down?

Thanks!

Stephan Uzzell

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.