Monitoring Services

From: Uzzell, Stephan <SUzzell_at_MICROS.COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:51:18 +0000

Services is really in some ways an unfortunate name for them - it makes searching quite difficult as it is a broad enough term with enough other uses that it is hard to find the answer I'm looking for.

I recently got a complaint that users were unable to connect to one of the databases. When I connected, I found that the service they connect to was not running. My guess is that we (the DBAs) failed to restart that service after the last maintenance window - and it seems that in 10g, services do not automatically start when you bring the instance up.

So - how do people monitor that the necessary services are up and running? Can Grid Control be set to alert if a service is down?

Thanks!

Stephan Uzzell