Re: shared pool notifications

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 14:24:46 +0100

Hi

Largely, I think, because of licensing rules Oracle Database implements a distinction between an alert and a notification. In Oracle RDBMS terms a server alert occurs whenever a threshold for a metric is passed. The term alert doesn't carry its normal english interpretation of a warning to anybody, it's just recording the occurrence of an event of interest. This functionality is free - or rather part of your database license. Telling someone about this event - say by email - is a notification and requires a management pack to be licensed - unless you just code based on DBA_OUTSTANDING_ALERTS and UTL_MAIL :) .

Monitoring Templates define your critical and warning threshold values - consequently they effectively define when a server alert will occur for a specific metric. Their great advantage (at least since GC 10.2.0.5 ) is that you can define a policy across an enterprise for targets of a specific type and apply the same threshold rules to all of them once. Doing this says nothing about who will receive emails etc. It purely controls the point at which you become interested in a metric's value (or cease to be interested in it).

Notification rules allow administrators to subscribe to server generated alerts in which they are interested - for example you might have a team that handles database storage that would be interested in disk space, tablespace etc alerts and another that was interested in performance metrics. Alternatively you might subscribe based on role of the target (dev/prod etc).

As for what suitable metrics are for SHARED_POOL usage I suspect that to be hugely application specific and so probably not suitable for either templating or internet advice :(

Niall

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 1:40 AM, P D <pdba1966_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> What do you think is a good setting to use in Grid Control for 'Warning'
> and 'Critical' for Shared Pool? I am just learning Grid Control and
> trying to set it up now which brings up the next question. What is the
> difference between Preferences->Notification Rule and Setup->Monitoring
> Templates?
>
> In creating Monitoring templates, you have to select all the metric and
> also, while creating notification rule, you have to once again select the
> metrics. Getting confused at what is the difference between the two.
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 13:11:00 -0300
> Subject: Re: shared pool notifications
> From: cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com
>
> To: Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be
> CC: pdba1966_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org
>

> do you have grid control?
> Alan.-
>

> Is there a way to get notified that the shared pool is running out of
> memory before it actually occurs?
>
> We had a sudden unexpected spike of activity and the database was unable to
> allocate shared memory. This is a 10.2.0.4 database. We saw it in the
> alert log but only after it had run out. Just wondering what other people
> are doing as far as receiving notifications before it runs completely out.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info