Re: FW: How to caliculate the IO Demand for IOPS and ThroughtPut

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 23:03:33 -0700

My 2 cents for now

For data collection

dba_hist_sysmetric_summary- gives max, min, averages, stddev, etc for every hour for last week in AWR by default.

V$SYSMETRIC_HISTORY - max, min, avg, stddev etc for every minute for last hour. You can also pull out stats for every 15 secs for last 3 minutes.

I'd expect I/O to be less on disk if you are not using direct I/O many reads will come from UNIX file cache.
Even with direct I/O many reads will be coming from SAN cache. Then again SANs will do read aheads that might never get used by Oracle.

Also, for RAID5, I'd only expect 3x the IOPs for writes ( read, write, write vs write ) only.

Oracle can do a lot more I/O than just data block and redo operations. Check the stats

physical read IO requests
vs
physical read total IO requests

physical read bytes