Re: FW: How to caliculate the IO Demand for IOPS and ThroughtPut

From: Karl Arao <karlarao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:48:24 -0500

Hi Robin,

Yes I agree, the average normalizes the spikes.. so it's also good to have a validation of the IO numbers you are getting from Oracle from the OS numbers.

Also I use these statistical tools for my data points http://karlarao.tiddlyspot.com/#dbms_stat_funcs this one is from Craig Shallahamer gives you a really nice visual distribution of your data points, I modified it a bit so he got that uploaded on his site already..
http://resources.orapub.com/product_p/statsam.htm

And.. another thing that you can do when you are investigating on a slow subsystem and drilling down on a subsecond detail is to trace the session and use the Mr. Tools.. particularly the Mr. Skew.. ;) you can do a lot of statistical drill downs on 10046 trace using that tool http://karlarao.tiddlyspot.com/#%5B%5BMr.%20Tools%5D%5D

--

Karl Arao
karlarao.wordpress.com

--