RE: Is a RDBMS needed?

From: <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:37:54 +0300

>Richard Goulet
>Anyway, after some time creating Ada, the master engineer supposedly
retired from the Ada JSPO and went to work for Oracle.

then taxpayers money were not all wasted after all. Oracle generates quite a value, including exports.

As for ADA I can not resist the offtopic - from what I've seen it had what modern languages start having only now. Plus ALGOL (it's ALGOL, right?) kind of syntax for mere humans.
I personally come back to pl/sql easily after a prolonged periods of departure. Not so with C or god forbid C++. I've spent tons of hours developing with both but almost everything (I mean C pecularities which are must to know) has evaporated.
ok, sorry for offtopic once again.
But well, moral of the story is: if properly approached even Java project can bring something usefull. Really hard to argue it will fail (not so hard to know it will fail - a good engineer feels that right a way) unless give it a try and let it fail.

brgds, Laimis N

  From:       "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>

  To:         <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt>, <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

  Date:       2011.06.10 17:16

  Subject:    RE: Is a RDBMS needed?

Well, for those who never heard of Ada
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_%28programming_language%29)and it's link to PL/SQL, the US DOD has/had an Ada Joint Systems Program Office(JSPO) in the Pentagon back in the 80's. The idea was to create a replacement for Cobol, Jovial, C-Atlas, Fortran, and a lot of other computer languages that was costing them lots of dollars to maintain each year. The usual capitalistic idea was to have DOD in conjunction with universities, primarily MIT I believe, create a computer language to handle all of this advanced processing and then incentivize as well as punish contractors into using this new language there by replacing all of the previously created and unmanageable stuff. Sounds like a good idea, right? You add money to a procurement contract when the contractor uses Ada and you penalize them when they don't by removing money or making them prove they can't do what they need with the new language. And to promote the reuse of existing modules you add more bonuses. Problem, the compile sequence can overwrite modules in the standard library thereby making it appear that you reused an existing module. OOPS!!! Oracle also in conjunction with the Ada JSPO crated what was known as PRO*Ada, which worked very well (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/A57673_01/DOC/api/doc/PAD18/ch11.htm ).

Anyway, after some time creating Ada, the master engineer supposedly retired from the Ada JSPO and went to work for Oracle. About a year later we were all introduced to PL/SQL. (,http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Ada and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PL/SQL)

Richard Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/Na Team Leader