[RESOLVED]: More issues with alert.log

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 08:30:44 -0500

Finally got to the bottom of this.

We had been using DCD (Dead Connection Detection) in 10g. When we upgraded to 11.1.0.7, we apparently hit an old bug that has resurfaced (Bugs 6918493, 3934729) (see mythology of the Hyrda<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernaean_Hydra>). Apparently the newly broken DCD was causing undead connections to write to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/alert_$ORACLE_SID.log, thus bumping into the other new 11g bug.

As a workaround, we have disabled DCD (sqlnet.expire_time = 0).

I am still leaning on Oracle to come up with a way to backtrack this - I only got to the root of the issue by a series of coincidences and some opensnoop sniffing.

--
Charles Schultz