Converting archivelog file name from FRA to %t_%s_%r.dbf

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 14:36:41 +0100

Hi all,

A bit of a funny question which has been raised today. Oracle 11.2.0.2.2 RAC with ASM on Linux.

Let's assume for a moment that you have a production cluster with a disk group +ARCH used as the FRA. The archived redo logs follow the naming convention shown here:

thread_threadNumber_seq_sequenceNumber.fileID.incarnation

An example is thread_1_seq_94.348.752827039

Thread and sequence number are self explanatory. The rest of the file name is composed of the file_number and file_incarnation as shown in v$asm_file, i.e. you could find this file in asm by querying

SQL> select * from v$asm_file where file_number = 348 and incarnation = 752827039;

So far so good. Now what I need to do is copy these files from the production cluster to another cluster and apply them to a clone of the production database to roll it forward.

The question really is: do you know of a simple enough way to transform the files from their FRA naming convention into the %t_%s_%r.dbf format? RMAN cannot be used unfortunately, and it's too long a story to tell here.

Ideally I'll run a shellscript which transforms thread_1_seq_94.348.752827039 into 1_94_12345623432.dbf

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Martin