RE: What is Your Idea for optimizing Table Performance?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:29:34 -0400

I believe the message Paul is trying to convey by giving you the link to the concepts manual is that there is a rich choice possibilities, any one of which might be the optimal solution for a particular circumstance.

"My Idea" for "optimizing Table Performance" is to have a decent understanding of the possibilities Oracle hands to us out of the box combined with a data flow diagram of a proposed system, a transform center analysis, and the information life cycle plan. Then you have a decent chance to make optimal choices from the proposal forward.

Of course Oracle does not put you in a strait jacket regarding choices you make and you can reasonably change from one segment storage type to another if experience suggests that in the context of running a system the strengths of a different type would improve the overall situation.

And deploying a prototype system all in heap tables (the default) with decent choices for primary keys, foreign keys, and other "regular" indexes and just taking all the defaults may well be an optimal start with Oracle. I'll call that the null hypothesis for Oracle performance for an arbitrary system with no details given.

Of course if you're doing something specific like a data warehouse intended for use against a background of frequent augmentation by extract translate and load processes, then you might have a reason to do something specific from the beginning, such as tables designed with partitioning to facilitate swapping in new information.

mwf