ASO (Network Encryption) and Performance

From: steve montgomerie <stmontgo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:30:20 -0500

I've configured my PeopleSoft Development Middle Tiers servers to REQUIRE secure connections (with a dash of CHECKSUM) to the database. I'm interested to see how batch and on line processes are affected.

I do have a nightly job that runs from a middle tier server that runs for 3 hours. After I turn on ASO it still runs for 3 hours. I did a SQLNET trace and yep, the network traffic is encrypted.

Is it possible that in certain circumstances, Network Encryption may actually be helpful or not hurt performance. I understand/believe the overhead is associated with CPU and decrypting the data and if you're not CPU bound, maybe this is not an issue. Does Network Encryption with ASO do any sort of packet compression?

I'm just trying to figure our why my jobs aren't taking any longer after turning on ASO. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Thanks

Steve