RE: SMO rowcache

From: <Dominic.Brooks_at_barclayscapital.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:11:11 +0000

Just a bit more information:

SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
CORE 11.2.0.2.0 Production
TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

SQL> select cache#, type, parameter, gets, getmisses from v$rowcache where cache#=25;

    CACHE# TYPE        PARAMETER                              GETS  GETMISSES
---------- ----------- -------------------------------- ---------- ----------
        25 PARENT      SMO rowcache                        4078042    4078042

SQL> Background situation is that we're benchmarking an upgrade from 9.2.0.8 to 11.2.0.2.

Plan was to capture 9i like plans into a baseline (yes there are other ways to capture 9i plans) using optimizer_features_enable set to 9.2.0 along with other parameters set to current settings.

However, there are multiple processes running the same SQL, particularly row-by-row processing (yes, I know) and as a result of these loops, there are quite high executions of certain SQL lookups, etc.

Everything is "running slowly"

In ASH, I can see lots of row cache locks as per above.

I can also see that the blocking session on these row cache locks is running the recursive SQL associated to SQL Plan Management, for example:

MERGE INTO sqlobj$data
USING dual ON (:1 IS NULL)
WHEN MATCHED THEN
  UPDATE SET comp_data = :2 WHERE signature = :3 AND category = :4 AND obj_type = :5 AND plan_id = :6 WHEN NOT MATCHED THEN
  INSERT (signature, category, obj_type, plan_id, comp_data, spare1, spare2) VALUES (:7, :8, :9, :10, :11, null, null)

and

MERGE INTO sqlobj$auxdata
USING dual ON (:1 IS NULL)
WHEN MATCHED THEN
  UPDATE
WHEN NOT MATCHED THEN
   INSERT .... AWR also shows that 6 recursive statements related to SQL Plan Management account for 90% of all parsing and have each been executed 500,000 times in one hour.

I'm still investigating.

I would have thought that an Oracle Support ticket will come out of this (or I'll just abandon the plans for 9i baselines).

But, bottom line is, does anyone know anything concrete about SMO Rowcache? Even just what SMO stands for?

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this e-mail is not an offer to buy or sell or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Barclays. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Barclays. This e-mail is subject to terms available at the following link: www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Barclays you consent to the foregoing. Barclays Capital is the investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC, a company registered in England (number 1026167) with its registered office at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP. This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays Group.