RE: RE: EXTERNAL: Re: RedHat 6, Oracle 11gr2, RAC using ASM....

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 23:04:27 +0100

Hi,

Since Redhat 5.3 you can even use the uid, gid and mode device attributes of dm multipath to set the owner, group and privileges of a multpathed device. The alias attribute already gave you the possibility to give a persistant name to the device. So you would not even need udev to get it to work.

But I must say that I have never tried to use these multipath options, so I'm not sure if the partitions inherit the options when you partition the multipath device or not. If not, you must still use udev to set them correctly. Note that it is adviced to use partitions instead of just presenting the whole disk. This way it is more clear that there is data on the lun.

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator
email: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be
tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
http://www.uptime.be
disclaimer: www.uptime.be/disclaimer

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: donderdag 3 februari 2011 21:29
To: Grabowy, Chris
Cc: Harel Safra; sreejithsna_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: RE: EXTERNAL: Re: RedHat 6, Oracle 11gr2, RAC using ASM....

Not at all, you could use udev instead. On 3 Feb 2011 20:26, "Grabowy, Chris" <chris.grabowy_at_lmco.com> wrote: I just checked and RH6 is not listed as certified with Oracle 11gr2.  Like I said were on the bleeding edge here.

We were under the impression that ASMlib is required for a Oracle/RAC/ASM configuration.  But I guess not based on some recent emails???

From: Niall Litchfield [mailto:niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:14 PM To: Grabowy, Chris
Cc: Harel Safra; sreejithsna_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: Re: RedHat 6, Oracle 11gr2, RAC using ASM....

Not at all. RHEL6 is not yet certified (I think) but asmlib is a convenience for which there ar...