10g standby database setup question

From: Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 13:21:09 -0900

I set up a test standby database and everything is fine. I now want to do the same thing for our production database, but with the least amount of downtime.

The database is in archivelog mode and force logging is on. I'm creating the standby log files and making a copy of the pfile, but I haven't added any of the new parameters, yet (i.e. fal_server).

My plan is to take a backup of the database, copy the files to the standby server, then on Sunday shutdown the production database, modify the parameters, create a standby parameter file, create a standby control file, make the listener mods I need and bring the production server back up, with the log_archive_state for the standby destination set to 'defer' until I have the standby created and ready to receive redo.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan? For the test system, I had all of the parameters set before I did the database backup. I'm pretty sure that won't make a difference, though....