RE: Do I need tnsnames.ora to connect to the DB with dynamic listener registration

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:03:31 -0500

That's it. You need to use service name instead of SID. You really should be eliminating any use of SID. And, it's possible with some of the newer naming methods, like EZCONNECT or host naming, you can eliminate tnsnames.ora all together. They're probably not practical for complex environments, but for smaller, simple environments, it may work well.

-Mark

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of sundar mahadevan Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2011 4:42 PM To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org
Subject: Do I need tnsnames.ora to connect to the DB with dynamic listener registration

Hi All,
Sorry about this basic question. I can understand how dynamic registration works but does dynamic listener service registration completely eliminate the use of tnsnames.ora or do i keep the tnsnames.ora and change the sid to service_name. Thanks in advance.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Jan 27 2011 - 17:03:31 CST

Original text of this message