Re: awr history

From: Karl Arao <karlarao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 01:00:36 +0800

Hi Ed,

Interestingly, just last week I was talking to a friend who has worked with Oracle on the Capacity and Performance management team. They were mainly doing predictive analysis, workload addition/reduction analysis, server consolidation type of engagements for hundreds of clients and thousands of servers. So to have an accurate analysis and be able to apply models they need to keep data samples and all sorts of metrics, and according to him they have a custom java app that collects data directly from the "em agent daemons" either from EMGC or Database Control and stores it on its own database that has around 3years of retention. For graphing and modeling purposes, they just get the of data they need (particular workload periods) where the web based interface will output it in xls format.

Well I didn't know of that em agent trick... and from the collection perspective I think that is efficient. Interesting, but I have to know what are those underlying tables, the kind of data, and how I could make sense of it..

A quick search got me to the links below:

http://www.pythian.com/documents/ExtendingOracleEnterpriseManager10g.pdf
http://jhdba.wordpress.com/2010/09/03/using-grid-to-display-database-cpu-usage/
http://jhdba.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/producing-a-grid-report/
http://oracleobserver.com/?q=node/23
http://lianggang.wordpress.com/category/grid-control/
http://coskan.wordpress.com/2009/06/11/how-to-use-sysman-schema-without-em/

As for the AWR scripts, the underlying tables are the same tables that the usual AWR reports pull data from. I just derived and presented the relevant data (http://karlarao.tiddlyspot.com/#%5B%5BPerformance%20Formulas%5D%5D) in a time series manner and you can also build a central data store of this perf data but the difference is you are not bringing it all over, you already have the summarized output ready for the reports ( http://goo.gl/wUhF4).

BTW, Thanks Kellyn!

--

Karl Arao
karlarao.wordpress.com