Re: High Availability Options

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:30:25 -0500

Yes, both udev and asmlib are integrated into the kernel. Asmlib is not distributed by redhat in the kernel rpm, so as you have pointed out, it needs to be kept in sync. This would be the case for any kernel modules installed separately. I have also occasionally seen network or hba drivers that are installed separately and require separate maintenance with any kernel upgrade. On a side note, I bet that this will change in the new Oracle kernel - quite likely you won't need the separate step anymore, now that Oracle has officially forked their own kernel.

I was involved in the engineering effort at a very large org and we decided to use udev. (In fact, I was one of the main proponents of this approach.) It has in fact fallen by the wayside since I left, because noone else can figure out how to write those cryptic udev rules. One of the major problems was that for every new device that came along, we had to figure out new udev rules to detect this device. (New HBA vendor, new multipath driver, new SSD card, etc.) As long as I was around to reverse engineer what kinds of kernel rules we needed to write, it was fine. But noone else could really figure it out. With Asmlib, there's no new effort for new devices - any block device is just as easy to work with.

Personally, I love the flexibility and control of udev. But I really do think it's a bear to learn - you pretty much have to understand basic

linux kernel internals to get it...  there are some people out there who
can do that, but not everyone can.  I think that (for better or worse)
pretty much anyone can use Asmlib.

-Jeremy

--
http://www.ardentperf.com