RE: Rman Full Backup with DataDomain

From: Amaral, Rui <Rui.Amaral_at_tdsecurities.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:10:45 -0400

Hi Martin,

what's you nfs mount options? I had something similar and it was tied to that.

Rui Amaral
Database Administrator
ITS - SSG
TD Bank Financial Group
220 Bay St., 11th Floor
Toronto, ON, CA, M5K1A2
(bb) (647) 204-9106

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Martin Brown Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 10:03 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Rman Full Backup with DataDomain

I have an interesting problem. I am running full backup cycles of the database twice a week and we have re-directed the backuppieces to a DataDomain device. THe problem is the performance has tanked. Normal backups to a NAS take approximately 5 hours. The *new and improved* DataDomain option takes just under 16 hours.

I have modified the rman script to conform to DataDomain's Best Practice docs (i.e...filesperset=1, uncompressed, yada...yada...) but I still am unable to achieve acceptable performance.

The database configuration follows Oracle's MAA whitepaper on High Availability. I use a local standby to run the full backup to offload the CPU and memory burden from the production environment. I run semi-annual tests on the backups to verify they are indeed good and I've never hade any issues. We run nightly incrementals on the primary using block change tracking and image copies of the datafiles. Again, never have had any issues.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

NOTICE: Confidential message which may be privileged. Unauthorized use/disclosure prohibited. If received in error, go to www.td.com/legal for instructions. AVIS : Message confidentiel dont le contenu peut être privilégié. Utilisation/divulgation interdites sans permission. Si reçu par erreur, allez au www.td.com/francais/avis_juridique pour des instructions.