RE: Real time data trasfer between 2 DB

From: Arvind Kumar (IT-SIS-UIF) <"Arvind>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 07:30:01 +0200

Dear All,

Many thanks for all your valuable suggestions.

It seems if we keep a single DB for both purposes (records to be inserted by GPS devices and for reporting) maintenance cost would be less but we need to work out on database design and hardware cleverly.

Thanks

Arvind Kumar

From: rjamya [mailto:rjamya_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, August 27, 2010 5:42 PM
To: Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com
Cc: Arvind Kumar (IT-SIS-UIF); oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Real time data trasfer between 2 DB

I agree with Dick, and would also add that tune the sqls for reporting so they won't put additional load ...

Also for replication, GoldenGate is another candidate ... you can do one way replication but also consider the licensing costs etc.

Raj

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com> wrote:

First question I would ask is why do we have 2 databases in the first place. Mostly I get that requirement because "we don't want to impact the activity of the application with reporting requirements" In your case the application is the bus sending data to the database for input, not update. And depending on your server the replication can become more of a resource hog than the reporting. I've got a situation like that right now and it really is a bear. So, get the right server with more memory and cpu than you think you'll need for 10 years and have just the single instance. That also takes care of the latency issue as well.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International