Re: Oracle Enterprise Manager and the 4K block size

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 14:14:12 -0700

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Ram Srinivasan <srinivasanram2004_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> Gus!
> We have OEM repository on a different server than the database server.
> Once you get to know OEM, it is fantastic. It is all click and enter.
> That is all.

Yes, OEM is surely wonderful.

I have witnessed the DBA 1.0 (cmdline and scripts) vs. DBA 2.0 (OEM Jockey) at Oracle Open World.

Both were to perform the same fairly complex task. They had 3 minutes each.

The 1.0 DBA went first.

He spent 1.5 minutes explaining what he was going to do.

He then spent 30 seconds doing the work.

He used his last 30 seconds explaining what he had just done.

Next 2.0 DBA took his turn.

It was really quite different. All the neat and orderly menus clearly marked this as a superior method.

The 2.0 DBA frantically pointed and clicked the entire three minutes, explaining the operation he went.

He did manage to finish up in 3 minutes, pointing and clicking the entire time.

Yes, it was truly wonderful.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com