how to update a long data type

From: Dba DBA <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:36:09 -0400

I am not allowed to change some long data types to clobs. I asked and was told no. This is pretty old, so when I google it I don't see much.

I have a table with a long and I need to update that field (I also tried inserting the record into a test table). It appears that the data I have to update or insert is over 4k and when I do it I get:

ora-00972 identifier too long.

When I google that error, it is normally if your column name is too long. How did people put large amounts of data into longs? I have not used them in years.

I made a test table and tried to insert it and got the same error.

DB Version: Also tried it in an DB.