Re: Materialized views on 10g database reading log tables on 9i database

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 06:57:22 -0700

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Chuck Boddy <Chuck.Boddy_at_gettyimages.com>wrote:

> Wonderful...thanks, Jared...
> Preparing to do just that(prepare a test environment and test scenario)....
>
> Did you experience any "gotchas"....

I don't recall any specific gotchas related to version differences.

One of the biggest general gotchas is that if you replicate any PK/UK constraints on the target database, create the constraints as DEFERRABLE. Otherwise you will likely run into ORA-00001 duplicate key errors due to the MV momentarily containing duplicate rows.

At least that's the advice I've seen given. I just don't create UK or PK constraints on the MV side, as those constraints don't mean to much for replicated data.

Then again, you may want those constraints in place for the sake of the optimizer.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com