RE: How rman delete obsolete NOT delete archivelogs.

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:29:19 -0400

Juan,

    What you trying to do is illogical. Assume that you have 5 days of archive logs on disk but only backups of database files for the last 2 days. Of what purpose are the other three days archivelog? You can't use them to rollback the database beyond where the last backup is. I think your real need is 5 days of both archive logs AND backups.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Juan Miranda Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:00 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: How rman delete obsolete NOT delete archivelogs.

Hi

I need to have 2 backups and 5 days of archivelogs on disk.

RMAN "delete noprompt force obsolete" delete backups and archivelogs.

Retention policy to redundancy 2;

I canīt use

DELETE BACKUP COMPLETED BEFORE 'SYSDATE-3' DEVICE TYPE DISK; DELETE ARCHIVELOG UNTIL TIME 'SYSDATE-7'; because itīs time based and I need to have always 2 backup copies on disk.

Any way to do it?

Thks.