Re: Database accidentally left in backup mode

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_bluegecko.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:42:25 -0700

On Mar 15, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Janine Sisk wrote:

> Yes, that would at least give me some kind of progress indication.
> Though I kind of hate to kill it now, it has been going for so long
> already! But all files are still marked active so whatever it's
> doing doesn't seem to be very effective.

The database doesn't do anything of any duration during this process, except update the file headers and the controlfile. It should be almost instantaneous for even large numbers of datafiles. Duration of backup mode is irrelevant. You can (and should) cancel and retry at any time. If it hangs again, check the wait event of the session trying to take it out of backup mode. You are probably stuck on a controlfile enqueue.

Jeremiah Wilton
Blue Gecko, Inc.