RE: Tahiti's down...

From: Yong Huang <>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 07:55:19 -0800 (PST)

> grep -R '<search term>' *.pdf

That won't work. One reason I don't like PDF is that you can't do grep 'clear text' on it. You have to use a tool such as pdftotext then grep its output.

As to desktop search program, none is perfect. Microsoft Desktop Search insists on indexing Outlook mails, even if I turn it off. Google Desktop has no rule order for inclusion/exclusion so to only index c:\mydocs, you have to exclude all other folders at C:. Copernic only allows you to use for free at home. Both Google and Copernic have trouble indexing some files in subfolder with space in filenames.

Yong Huang