RE: Tahiti's down...

From: Blanchard, William <wblanchard_at_societyinsurance.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:00:41 -0600

Correct. You will need to either use strings or pdftotext and pipe it to a grep. The grep will work for some search terms but not very many.

WGB -----Original Message-----
From: Yong Huang [mailto:yong321_at_yahoo.com] Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:55 AM To: Blanchard, William
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Tahiti's down...

> grep -R '<search term>' *.pdf

That won't work. One reason I don't like PDF is that you can't do grep 'clear text' on it. You have to use a tool such as pdftotext then grep its output.

As to desktop search program, none is perfect. Microsoft Desktop Search insists on indexing Outlook mails, even if I turn it off. Google Desktop

has no rule order for inclusion/exclusion so to only index c:\mydocs, you have to exclude all other folders at C:. Copernic only allows you to use for free at home. Both Google and Copernic have trouble indexing some files in subfolder with space in filenames.

Yong Huang