dataguard, and rman backup of archive logs

From: Edward Lewis <>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:27:20 -0500

     I have a rac cluster, with dataguard replicating to a logical standby, as well as a physical standby. All environments are using ASM.

     I use RMAN to back up the archive logs on the LSB. The LSB is a set up to delete the archive logs once they are backed up. When I check the alert log, it shows the archive logs being deleted. When I check the archive log location on ASM, the archive logs still remains.

        They way ASM is set up is has a soft link to the actual archive log files in the archive log directory. Here is an example.

 srptpre_dcea562_1_919_702560930.arc =>

      So, when Oracle deletes the archive log, it just removes the link name.
In this case, that would be "srptpre_dcea562_1_919_702560930.arc". The actual archive log file,
"+REM_ARCH/srptpre/ARCHIVELOG/2010_02_02/thread_1_seq_919.670.709896975" still remains. It does not get deleted.

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior ? Is there a way to have the archive log deleted also ?

Sun solaris 10, oracle