Oracle RAC & Fusion I/O Cards

From: Thomas Roach <troach_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:07:50 -0500

Hi Group,

I have a RAC (10.2.0.4 on RHEL 5.3 Linux x86-64) cluster and we do a large amounts of sorts and things in Parallel. I was looking at Fusion I/O cards which are kept in the server. What I was thinking was, if I used a Temporary Tablespace Groups and assigned users to this, would it be possible to store 1 temporary tablespace locally on each node (4 total), or does this have to be on shared storage as well? If I can store them local, then I can use the Fusion I/O device.

Our hardware rep is trying to sell our Linux admins this for swap, but the problem is my boxes don't really swap as I have a large amount of physical memory, but if I can use it for super fast sorts, then I might have something. I prefer not to store my Undo or Redo though, since I want other nodes to be able to reoer if something fails, but Temp doesn't need to be shared if we use groups, or do we? That's the question.

Looking for some thoughts.

Thanks!

Tom