Re: Oracle and DRBD - a real HA alternative?

From: Martin Bach <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:29:38 +0000

On 01/21/2010 03:57 PM, Uwe Küchler wrote:
> Dear fellow oracle-l'ers,
> Does anyone here have practical experience in running DRBD with Oracle
> Server? Is it possible to create anything near to Data Guard
> functionality with it? How would you implement a transparent application
> failover? What about split-brain situations?

I don't know about DRDB, but I have implemented Oracle Clusterware to provide high availability (active/passive) for Oracle (10.2) databases. There's a good document along with scripts here:

In addition you can always add Data Guard to such a configuration, other list members have posted about workarounds if you're using SE.

Hope this helps,

Martin Bach
OCM 10g