Re: max file size for DB block 16k and 32K?

From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi_at_epicadvertising.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 07:50:54 -0600

To add to what Niall said, I think you can only change it during the database creation. If you have a database already running, you would be well off letting it go.

Someone here also said you may come across lot of bugs where running with anything other than 8K. In another word, the performance gain is not worth it as the change will trigger way too many problems

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> To: mccdba1_at_yahoo.com <mccdba1_at_yahoo.com> Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wed Jan 06 06:29:10 2010
Subject: Re: max file size for DB block 16k and 32K?

2^22 * (block_size) so 64 and 128gb respectively. This obviously assumes that

  1. you are using smallfile tablespaces and
  2. the os doesn't impose a lower limit.

There's a section in the docs for your version called database limits that contains this and other useful info.

Niall

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:50 AM, dba1 mcc <mccdba1_at_yahoo.com<mailto:mccdba1_at_yahoo.com>> wrote: We have ORACLE 10.2.0.4 X86_64 on Redhat server. I knew for 8k DB block size max file size is 32 GB.

Does anyone know for 16K and 32K what is max file size?

Does max file size different on X86 and X86_64 version?

Thanks.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info