Re: Monitoring multiple application servers with grid control

From: John Piwowar <jpiwowar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:04:42 -0800

Okay, here we go. If it's this buried in a whitepaper, perhaps my calling this a "recommendation" was a tad strong. :-) Apologies for sowing misinformation; apparently my earlier read of the document left a stronger impression that was warranted.

The original document was an Oracle whitepaper, "Enterprise Manager Grid Control Security Deployment - Best Practices" that used to live at http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/oem/pdf/Security_Paper_OOW_06.pdf, which I haven't been able to find again on a quick search. My local copy reads,
"Securing the Agents
1. To protect against the possibility of users installing unauthorized agents, use one-time registration passwords that have a reasonable expiry date.
2. Install the latest CPUs. For more detail on this, please see recommendation #2 in the Securing the OMS section above. 3. Install the agent as a separate user
4. Support only impersonation based access to this account post installation"

The same section in the apparent successor document, found at http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/oem/pdf/twp_security_best_practices.pdf, reads:

"Securing the OMA
1. Install the agents via Grid Control’s Agent Deploy which uses the secure SSH
protocol.
2. To protect against the possibility of users installing unauthorized agents, use
one-time registration passwords that have a reasonable expiry date instead of
persistent registeration passwords.
3. Install the latest CPUs. For more details on this, please see recommendation #2
in the Securing the OMS section above.
4. Install the agent as a separate user from OMS installation and support only
impersonation based access to this account such as sudo or PowerBroker post installation. "

--

Regards,

John P.