Re: FRA

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_bluegecko.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:25:27 -1000

I guess I am a pretty big fan of using the FRA in 10.2 and 11.x for backups. Configured correctly, it eliminates the need to write scripts to manage and delete old archivelogs and backups, since the oldest files get deleted to make space for new files when the FRA reaches 100%. With backup optimization on, the subsequent backup from disk to tape via a MML is greatly reduced in size. Overall, it replaces a lot of home-grown scripting and management we have all developed over the years. You don't have to mark anything obsolete or delete via RMAN if it is configured correctly. Set up right, it is "Self-managing."

My biggest complaint about the FRA is that you cannot archive directly into compressed backupsets. So if you use the FRA as your log_archive_dest_n, the archivelogs can take up comparatively more space than database backups.

Regards,

Jeremiah Wilton
Blue Gecko, Inc.
http://www.bluegecko.net