Re: 10046, Unaccounted for Time, Aix 5.3 -- How to Determine Process Pre-Emption

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 17:45:00 -0800

Hi Larry,

> What is being looked for by the “SA’s” is something along the lines of
> strace, truss, ptrace, trace, whatever, and how those could be used by the
> SA’s to see if pre-emption is occurring. They aren’t sure of the best
> way/tool to use, and I don’t have a recommendation for them, though plenty
> of examples, especially tied into Oracle, for flavors other than AiX.

Did the SAs look at sar and vmstat? I don't have access to AIX to see the various options, but I ask because vmstat/sar -quw should show CPU queue lengths, CPU usage and Context switches (among the many other columns) which should give them a fair indication of the *extent* (but not specifics) of the issue. For specifics, you might want to look at the various PRI (priority) values for selected processes to understand if there are some processes that are getting a priority that they should not be getting :) Again, there may be AIX specifics, the way LPARs are created/configured, etc., which the SAs will have to consider in view of this data.....

--
John Kanagaraj <><
http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnkanagaraj