list table names in a export dump file (9i)

From: Roger Xu <wellmetus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 16:17:04 -0600

Hi List,

A cron job in the production database runs the following to export a list of tables every day.

exp user/password file=/export/foo.dmp parfile=/oracle/interface/tablelist

I am supposed to ftp foo.dmp and import it in the training database but the table list is dynamic, meaning each day we have different sets of tables.

How do I use the imp with show=y just to list the schema.tablenames in the export file?

The idea is to truncate each table then use imp with ignore=y to import into the training database.

Thanks,

Roger Xu

$ imp / file=/tmp/foo.dmp show=y

Import: Release 9.2.0.8.0 - Production on Tue Dec 1 14:26:05 2009 Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. Connected to: Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.8.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.8.0 - Production
Export file created by EXPORT:V09.02.00 via conventional path import done in US7ASCII character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set IMP-00031: Must specify FULL=Y or provide FROMUSER/TOUSER or TABLES arguments
IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully
$