Re: Negative ramifications of setting CPU_COUNT lower?

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:49:01 -0800

I know of several Sun/Oracle customers who have successfully implemented the CMT stuff and have replace some fairly large systems (15K, 6800/6900, etc) with the new T5540 or similiar.

Part of the problem as I see it is that many people don't seem to understand the trade offs for the CMT processor line. I usually tell people that if they have a throughput based workload (lots of sessions doing lots of short transactions) then it works well. Its akin to having a 4 lane freeway at 80 MPH compared to say a 12 lane freeway at 40. Depending on how many lanes you can keep "busy" with cars, the wider, slower road may move more cars in a fixed time period. It should be fairly obvious then if there is only a few number of cars, then the faster/fewer option is better.

So instead of being scared of something, I think its much better to explain and understand the trade offs and why it is so.

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn