RE: Anyone Using IBM flash Copy for Database Backups?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:05:02 -0500

I'm not, but I am surprised about your situation. I would have expected pretty much everything to have gotten faster, not slower.

Is it possible some of the carefully set sizes that previously were optimized for your RMAN processing have been left to automatic settings with no minimums? There are plenty of people on this list more expert than me about RMAN. Are you surprised too? Anything special in the transition from 10g to 11g for RMAN that these folks should look into?

Are you cpu bound on the compression? Faster media copying is not going to help that. How much of your datawarehouse is actually eligible for change from month to month? Is there a partitioning strategy that will combine good access with life cycle management?

mwf