Anyone Using IBM flash Copy for Database Backups?

From: Peter Barnett <regdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 06:50:15 -0800 (PST)

We have several large warehouse databases in the 12T to 15T range. The normal run time for our RMAN backup scripts more than doubled after upgrading to 11g. The scripts do use compression which seems to be the problem.

IBM claims that Flash Copy will back up a 2.5T DB2 database in less than 15 minutes. Is anyone using Flash Copy for Oracle database backups? If so, do the IBM estimates for DB2 correlate to Oracle run times?

Pete Barnett
Database Technologies Lead
Regence