RE: Oracle10g running on Solaris Containers

From: <Mayen.Shah_at_lazard.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:14:14 -0400

Thank you Scott,

Yes, that was also a problem, and I have asked UNIX sas to change CPU count during off peak hours only. This crashed are not related to CPU count change.

Thanks
Mayen

"Scott Canaan" <srcdco_at_rit.edu>

Oct 28 2009 11:04 AM

Mayen Shah/ITS/Lazard_at_Lazard NYC, oracle-l_at_freelists.org cc

Subject
RE: Oracle10g running on Solaris Containers

Mayen,

    I don’t know if this is still an issue, but when we migrated to Solaris containers several years ago, we ran into problems with instances crashing when Solaris reallocated the number of CPUs for the container. In particular, Oracle didn’t like it when the number of CPUs was decreased. That was usually followed by a crash and the timing of the crash was all over the place. It could happen immediately or hours later.

   One of the reasons for going to Solaris containers is the ability to dynamically change the allocation of CPUs, memory, etc. We had to turn this off to keep Oracle stable. This may or may not be your issue, as Oracle may have fixed it, but we’ve never dared to try turning it back on.

Scott Canaan '88 (Scott.Canaan_at_rit.edu) (585) 475-7886 – work (585) 339-8659 - cell
"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into
it." - Tom Lehrer.