Re: Clusterware tests

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 10:30:01 +0100

Cheers Thierry

Note I wasn't saying that the clusterware was unsupported - as you say it is a supported product. Equally the database is a supported product. The difficulty is that creating a custom clustered resource as described in the OP's whitepaper is not supported by Oracle (as the whitepaper says). So if clusterware breaks Oracle will help fix it. If the database breaks Oracle will help fix it. if your clustered single instance database doesn't work as expected then they are under no obligation to help.

I do understand why Oracle take this view, but it can be somewhat frustrating as a customer. In a previous life for example I was attempting to integrate Oracle Applications user provisioning with Microsoft Active directory. This is a supported configuration - there's even an example in the docs that works. We wanted to use other attributes from AD in our user provisioning - if you look at the example you'll see why - and the provisioning no longer worked. This was a custom configuration and therefore not supported, in other words Oracle support would only troubleshoot the exact example in the docs. I didn't get anywhere with escalating this, I think because Oracle wanted consultancy for this.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA